Senior Photo Editor
I made significant contributions at Science by transforming workflows and increasing the company’s digital presence. I created and implemented the first digital asset management system, which substantially decreased legal risk and provided an invaluable image resource.
- Art directed photo shoots for Science covers, features and special sections
- Produced, edited and narrated short video on National Ecological Observatory Network (NEON)
- Designed and implemented the first company-wide digital asset management system
- Produced the first annual data visualization video contest “Data Stories”
- Redesigned website that tracks Science editorial content
- Obtained and licensed captivating scientific imagery that illustrated complex scientific concepts
I completed documentary projects for on and off-site producers within tight time frames and on budget.
- Navy SEAL documentary: Coordinated with U.S. Department of Defense and worked directly with Navy SEALs to film at military facilities and interview experts; managed film shoot with Navy SEAL-managed logistics on multiple field shoots; gathered and licensed stock footage and images; coordinated graphics requests; facilitated production process for off-site producer
- Islands of Creation documentary: Coordinated with scientists to locate and license visual material relat-ed to observing evolution in progress in the South Pacific; created animated linguistics graphic; provided editing recommendations; assisted in simplifying complex scientific concepts
I contributed to the production of scientific and historical television shows.
- Managed logistics on field shoots and dramatic re-enactments
- Pitched stories and conducted pre-interviews for Monsters Inside Me on Animal Planet
- Researched complex medical conditions and wrote graphics scripts on specific topics
- Researched and licensed stock photographs and footage for National Geographic and Travel Channel
- Negotiated contracts and prices to license content from libraries, museums, agencies, and individuals
National Geographic Magazine
Freelance Photo Editor
I employed flexibility, tenacity and creative problem solving to illustrate magazine stories.
- Found powerful photographs for short news stories, feature stories and special newsstand issues
- Secured high-resolution imagery, cleared rights and maintained internal database of published images
- Assisted National Geographic photographers with studio shoots
- Assisted senior photo editor with daily Your Shot selections•Researched and licensed photographs for interactive map of the Chesapeake Bay
- Selected images from National Geographic photographer’s 25-year archive for submission to agencies
- Contributed as photographer to the April 2007 “On Assignment” section of the magazine
Other Film Experience
- Freelance associate producer at Cortina Productions (May – July 2017): Research and write museum content, find images and footage related to historical events
- Producer and director of ongoing series of short films “Uncovering Passion”
- First Assistant Director for short films “Vengeance” and “The Tracker”
- Extra in HBO film “Game Change”, feature film “Shelter”, and TV shows “House of Cards” and “TURN”